Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 25 August 2017

Another Recycled Ornament - Felsham Village Church


This post is mostly based on an email I sent David yesterday, so I must apologise to him for taking the liberty of reusing it. David is my consultant on the subject of Suffolk churches and - by Jove - it seems I've gone and bought another to help out with my ECW scenery. Another ceramic ornament for Grannie's sideboard, this one is not from Tey Potteries, it was made by Mudlen End, a studio which was based in Felsham, Suffolk, and it is a rather fetching miniature of St Peter's church, in - erm - Felsham, in fact.

Now I've matted down the ferociously shiny glaze it looks perfect for the Church of St Mary Acton at Nantwich - I'll have to fight that one again.

If, like me, you don't know this church, you will know more if you watch this charming YouTube clip. The Wikipedia entry for the village tells us that the church dates back to the 14th Century, which is fine, then goes on to explain that the interior was insensitively restored in the 19th Century, which seems an odd thing to find in Wikipedia - faint sound of axes grinding? I think we need names and addresses...

Enjoy your little outing in Felsham. My sincere thanks to the publisher.



3 comments:

  1. You know the video is a winner early on, when he points out that there are two Wheely bins.. The model looks rather nice, and I'm glad that Suffolk (or at least its churches) will at last see some ECW action. Felsham is not far from me, I may pay a visit! Thanks for email,I am honoured to be churches correspondent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further to this, thank you for inspiring a very pleasant sunny Bank Holiday afternoon of meandering around the country lanes of 'proper' Suffolk, well away from the main roads. Felsham turned out to be only about 10 miles distant, and in a rather nice situation. It is indeed quite a large church, but plain, apart from that large porch and lots of nice flint flush work. For correctness I should point out that your picture shows the view from the North, the big porch being on that side. Also you are right, it certainly sports a Matt finish; I'm not sure where the pottery got the idea for gloss. Or did medieval builders give everything a final coat of varnish, to keep it looking nice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - many thanks for this - you are taking this research fellowship thing very seriously - I hope you realise our budget is very tight. Did you also have time to visit the pub opposite?

      It seems that the medieval churches were in fact very shiny - local parishes used to attempt to outshine neighbouring churches. There is a potential doctorate thesis in this subject, I think. All I have found out so far is that it may have arisen from the celebrated misprint in the Nuneaton Bible of 1546 ["...and my flock must glaze..." Ezek 34:19]. It is also known that the Puritans insisted on dulling down the churches - not sure what they used - too early for Nitromors - maybe they used their abrasive personalities?

      Delete