Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 4 January 2016

Hooptedoodle #206 - Donkey Award - Plastic Coffee Cups


Yesterday being the Sunday after New Year, things were pretty quiet at the hospital where my mother is currently convalescing. Since I was early for official visiting, I went into the little WRVS cafe on the ground floor, and got myself a sandwich and a cup of coffee. The volunteers that run the cafe are often as elderly as the patients, so it can be a slightly confusing place if you don't pay attention. Yesterday it was deserted apart from me and the lady who was in charge.

They have a coffee machine behind the counter - also pretty elderly - so I asked could I have a filter coffee with a little milk. "Is that an Americano with some milk?" said the lady, and I agreed it probably was, though the matter of lifestyle names for types of coffee is an irritation for another post, on another occasion.

My coffee was prepared, in a plastic cup, and the lady proceeded to clip a lid on the cup.

"Please don't bother with the lid," I said, "I'll just sit and drink it in here".

Can't be done, apparently. It was explained to me that the volunteer was not allowed to sell coffee without the lid, since I might turn around and spill scalding coffee over the person behind me in the queue, and she would be responsible. No point getting into a dispute about it, so I took my lidded coffee over to a table - I had a choice of 5 tables - the place was like the Marie Celeste - I would have had to go somewhere else to find someone to spill it on.

The main reason I didn't want the lid, of course, is because I detest them. The stupid hole in the lid doesn't allow the coffee to come out sensibly - serious efforts to suck the liquid out can probably result in a hernia - and the drips always finish up on my chin. So I set about removing the lid, and - you guessed - spilt hot coffee on my hand and my shirt cuff. It was, however, entirely my own fault, so that's OK.

4 comments:

  1. It's a mad world we live in Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuts, dear boy. Bananas. At least I can still scald myself in the comfort of my own home. This week, anyway...

      Delete
  2. You'll be very glad to know, that made me chuckle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes it all worthwhile, Ray!

      Interestingly, I persuaded this afternoon's volunteer to omit the lid - I suggested it was a waste of resources. I hope I'm not on the CCTV.

      Delete