Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 28 June 2011

One for the Facial Detail Enthusiasts

From time to time I have a look at Todocoleccion, which is a Spanish online auction site. I have very occasionally found goodies such as surplus stock of Falcata figures, which is what keeps bringing me back, but mostly I find myself gawping at a heap of overpriced dross which makes eBay look like Christie's.


Here's a fine Todocoleccion picture of a 60mm plastic Napoleon, possibly made by Jecsan, which may come as a bit of a shock to those of us who associate Spanish toy soldiers with Del Prado and similar. I include it as inspiration to the fans of facial detail on miniatures. Sadly, as you will note, the artist missed his mark with Napoleon's trademark red nose, but it probably only spoils the overall effect very slightly.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if that is just about a perfect example of the painting style in the days of Robert Louis Stevenson, Reisswitz and even HG Wells. As such it's a useful corrective for the painter nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's even possible that people really looked like that - some awful dietary illness of the time. My Britain's foreign legion soldiers all had painted faces - 2 eyes, one mouth, 2 rosy cheeks (approximately), all applied with a very long, pointed brush from the far side of the room, apparently. Presumably it was an important part of the finish - collectors must have demanded it. If you had seen them life-size you would have run away screaming. Different days and different traditions - toy soldiers had to have toy soldier faces. Compulsory.

    I remember that the fine moulded detail and the plain, flesh-colour faces were novel features when the new 'Herald' plastic (modern) British infantry appeared (late 50s?). They were stunningly realistic, compared to what I was used to. The paint used to jump off in large flakes if you spoke too loudly near them, but they were clearly models, not toys. My mother wouldn't let me have the wounded guy, but I bought one anyway. Most useless guy in the platoon - a real liability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Spanish always have an artistic flair . I am impressed that the figure is placed in front of what looks like a set from the retreat from Moscow.Now that is a classy touch & would explain the red nose.

    Had a look at the todocolecion site & its unbelievable: a Prince August gun & 3 crew on a wood block for 190 euros. Maybe nobody buys anything.

    Cheers. Lou

    ReplyDelete